Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
A recipe that’s sure to make you crumble with delight.
This classic apple and blueberry crumble is made gluten-free with our Not-So Plain Flour, our specialty concoction that’s free from corn, nuts and soy. It’s a perfect after-dinner treat to warm your winter nights.
In this recipe, perfectly poached apples are covered with tart blueberries and baked under a golden, buttery crumb.
Our secret ingredient for poaching apples: apple juice. It adds a perfect amount of sweetness that prevents the apples from being overwhelmed by the tangy blueberries.
The rapadura sugar adds a caramel note that makes this dish truly decadent.
Enjoy this apple blueberry crumble with loved ones, and tag us on Instagram with your pics!
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- To poach the apples, choose a large saucepan. Cut a piece of baking paper into a circle the size of the base of the saucepan.
- Cut the peeled and cored apples into quarters lengthwise. Place them in the saucepan and cover with the apple juice plus one cup of water.
- Put the saucepan onto a high heat until the liquid boils. Then add the honey and cinnamon, stirring to dissolve the honey.
- Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and place the baking paper circle over the apples. Carefully press the paper down to sit on top of the liquid. This prevents the poaching liquid from evaporating too quickly.
- Simmer for 10-12 minutes, then test that the apples are cooked by piercing a knife through one of the pieces. If it cuts through easily, your apples are ready. Turn the heat off and leave them covered with the baking paper for 15 minutes.
- Make the crumble by adding the gluten free flour, almond meal, sugar and butter to a large bowl.
- Use your fingers to rub the dry ingredients into the butter until you have a crumbly mixture.
- Remove the cooled apples from the poaching liquid and place them into a baking tray in a single layer.
- Spread the frozen blueberries over the top of the apples.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the top of the fruit in one even layer.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the crumble is golden and crunchy.
- Serve your freshly baked apple blueberry crumble with ice cream and fresh fruit.