Easter wouldn’t be complete without a warm, soft hot cross bun.
Our gluten free take on the Easter favourite has the same great taste and texture as any hot cross bun you’ve enjoyed before. Dense, delicious and soft. The rapadura sugar adds a beautiful caramel-like flavour to the finishing glaze of the buns.
You don’t need to be a pro baker to make these beautiful hot cross buns. A stand-mixer, however, will definitely help you out! If you don’t own one, it’s totally fine - a good ol’ mixing bowl and elbow grease will do the trick.
- Preheat the oven to 185 degrees.
- Activate the yeast by mixing the yeast and warm milk together in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, soak the psyllium in the water and set aside to thicken.
- Weigh the flour, xanthan gum, sugar and salt, adding them to a large bowl and mixing slightly.
- Once the yeast and psyllium have thickened, add them to a kitchen aid with the dry ingredients, also combining the soft butter and egg.
- Fit the mixer with a hook attachment, and mix the ingredients on 1st speed for 3 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and ensure there are no dry ingredients at the bottom of the bowl.
- Mix further on second speed for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the spices and mix the dough for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Scrape the sides once more, adding in the soaked fruit, including any juice.
- Mix the dough on 1st speed until currants have dispersed properly.
- Remove from the bowl and transfer to a lightly greased baking tray.
- Allow the dough to rest and rise in the fridge for an hour at least - the longer the better.
- Transfer the rested dough onto a lightly floured bench (we use rice flour).
- Cut and shape the dough into buns of roughly 75 grams.
- Place buns onto a greased baking tray, and pipe a cross onto each bun with the cross mix (see recipe below).
- Bake in the oven for 185 degrees Celsius for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Coat with glazing mix to finish (recipe below).
CROSS MIX RECIPE:
Mix flour and water together until you reach a smooth consistency. Place mixture into a piping bag and pipe onto hot cross buns.
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 2 tbsp rapadura sugar
Add both ingredients together in a bowl and stir until sugar has dissolved. Brush glaze over your freshly-baked, gluten free hot cross buns.