Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 10 minutes
Recipe in collaboration with Little Delish
The beautiful Hayley Paterson, aka Little Delish is back at it again with a delicious pulled jackfruit burger recipe.
These quick and easy 30-minute vegan burgers are perfect for the family's next at-home burger night. Being gluten free AND dairy free, they cater to all dietary preferences.
The pulled jackfruit is a tasty vegan substitute that will fool any meat-lover for pulled pork or beef; and the crunchy slaw and mashed avo takes this burger into ultimate flavour and texture overload!
You can find jackfruit in grocery stores within the Asian section, health food stores or Asian markets.
Enjoy! Don't forget to show us your tasty creations on Insta. Tag us @nododonuts #nodoathome
For the Pulled Jackfruit
- 1 red onion
- 1 x 400g tin jackfruit
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 heaped tablespoon tomato paste
- Salt to taste
Note: You can substitute the spices for taco seasoning
For the Kale-slaw
- 3-4 large kale leaves, stems removed and washed, thinly shredded
- 1/4 small red or white cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1/4 cup spicy vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- To make the pulled jackfruit, drain the jackfruit and rinse. Pull the jackfruit apart into shreds. If there are any firm pieces of jackfruit core, finely slice them before using. Set aside.
- Finely dice the onion. Place a large frypan onto a medium heat and add a drizzle of oil. When the oil starts to shimmer, add the onion and cook until the onion has softened and started to change colour, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the spices, onion flakes and dried oregano to the onion and stir through. Cook for a further minute until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the jackfruit and tomato paste then stir to combine.
- Add around half a cup of hot water so that the jackfruit is mostly covered. Cover with a lid and simmer for 8-10 minutes until the jackfruit is soft.
- While the jackfruit is cooking, prepare the slaw. In a large bowl, add the vegan mayo and vinegar and mix with a fork. Add the shredded kale and cabbage and toss to combine.
- Prepare the smashed avo by mashing the avocado in a bowl. Squeeze in the lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Once the jackfruit is cooked, remove the lid and allow the sauce to reduce until you have a thick jackfruit mixture. Taste and adjust with salt.
- When the jackfruit is ready, halve the Nodo Vegan Buns and toast until golden. Build your burgers with slaw, jackfruit and smashed avo. Finish with vegan mayo on the lid of the burger bun.