Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
We’re fuelling our summer with golden grilled perfection, aka this Golden Glow Tofu Bowl recipe.
This colourful and refreshing bowl is filled with golden spiced tofu, turmeric coconut rice, house-made slaw, baby spinach, toasted cashews, coconut and lime dressing.
To make sure you keep your 2023 health goals in track, this nourishing bowl has a complete source of plant-based protein with complex carbohydrates for sustained energy and antioxidants to support immune health - you will be glowing from the inside out all summer long!
For the Golden Tofu
- 1 x 400g packet firm tofu
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce (tamari)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
For the Turmeric Coconut Rice
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk, from carton
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
For the Coconut Lime Dressing
- 1 x 270mL can coconut milk
- zest and juice of one lime
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 small wombok cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 small red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 cup raw cashews
- Start by preparing the tofu. Place the tofu onto a large plate and place a smaller plate on top. Weigh the top plate down with books to compress the tofu and remove excess liquid. Set aside while you prepare the rice and the glaze, 15-20 minutes.
- To cook the rice, rinse the rice in cold water and drain. Repeat until the water runs clear.
- Add the rice to a large saucepan with the coconut milk and the turmeric powder. Whisk to combine.
- Bring the rice to the boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cover with a lid and cook until the rice is tender, 10-12 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to stand with the lid on for five minutes. Use a fork to fluff the rice, separating the grains. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Make a glaze for the tofu by combining the turmeric, cinnamon, maple syrup, soy sauce and coconut oil on a small bowl.
- Remove the tofu from the compress and pat dry with paper towel. Cut the tofu into slices 1cm thick.
- Generously coat the tofu slices in the glaze. Place the tofu slices onto the lined tray and bake in the oven until golden and crisp, 8-10 minutes each side.
- While the tofu is baking, toast the cashews in a dry pan until golden brown, 6-8 minutes.
- Make the dressing by whisking the ingredients together. Set aside.
- To assemble, place the rice, slaw and spinach leaves into each bowl. Top with the golden tofu and toasted cashews. Dress with the coconut lime dressing just before serving.